|The Judge Cecil Poole Biography Project aims to aid in the development of young people, especially African American youth. The Project has three parts:
• Preservation of Judge Poole's personal papers by a professional archivist.
• Publication of Judge Poole's biography, Cecil Poole: A Life in the Law. by James Haskins, in both printed and audio versions for young adult readers.
• Distribution of "Cecil Poole: A Life in the Law" to high schools and youth centers, and as a free audiobook download from this website.
The book has won several awards:
• 2004 California Library Association Beatty Award for Best Young Adult Non-fiction
• 2006 American Association for State & Local History WOW Award for projects that are creative, highly inspirational, and exceedingly inspirational
• 2006 American Association for State & Local History Award of Merit
This project has been partially funded by foundation grants, the federal courts, former law clerks, colleagues, friends, and people who believe in our mission. Yet we still need more support to meet our goal.
Please make a tax-deductible donation today. Donors of $100 or more will receive a complimentary printed copy of Cecil Poole: A Life in the Law by James Haskins.
Contact us for more information:
Donations to the The Cecil Poole Biography Project are tax-deductible within the limits of the law. Checks may be made payable to NJCHS. Federal ID #94-2984882.
Find out more about the Ninth Judicial Circuit Historical Society.